I suggest you ...

add a spell checker

On OS X, we'd use the built-in spell checker. For Windows, we're looking at several options, and are currently leaning towards hunspell, an open-source project with support for several languages. The Open Office project also uses hunspell.

224 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eric BaumgartnerAdminEric Baumgartner (Developer, InqScribe) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Spellcheck would be really helpful. I was actually pretty shocked that it didn't have it. I wish I had done more research before purchasing.

• clairechristie13clairechristie13 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please! Spellcheck and an autocorrect, especially for letter transposition, would be SO helpful! It's such a pain to have to cut and paste to another program, spellcheck what Word or any other word processing software usually corrects for you, and then either have the InqScribe file be wrong at that point or have to go in (to the very awkward to navigate cursor in InqScribe) and change every little "jsut" and "adn."

• johnjohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't help but notice that this was brought up as an issue in 2010. It's 2016 and still a major problem. I was about to purchase this thinking the spell checker came with the purchased only something told me to check first. This is a huge disappointment. copy and pasting into a word document is not that simple. How many people purchase word these days? When using Google docs, I end up spending nearly as much time going through spell check and punctuation because it doesn't spell check capitalization. It's very disappointing to see a major problem like this ignored for 6 plus years.

• counterapparatuscounterapparatus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even integration with apple's built in spelling and autocorrect would be great and, I imagine, to so hard to implement.

• ClaireClaire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that a spell check, and even more so, an autocorrect function would be extremely helpful in the transcription process. I would also support being able to toggle between having this feature on and off.

• TKTK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Spell Check would be awesome! Or an auto correct option, with the ability to turn it on or off. It's a great program though, so well done!

• Forrest PoundForrest Pound commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Spell checker would be swell, but an auto correct function would be GREAT! But, I totally agree - a toggle box in preferences to turn it on and off would be swell.

• Philip KeyPhilip Key commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using the software today for the firsttime and it seemed to work (on a Mac) by selecting all, pasting into a word document, using that spell check and then pasting back. I was interested to see if it would keep the time code tracking and as far as I can see it does do that.

• David HornsbyDavid Hornsby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company are looking to purchase InqScribe but we're waiting for it to contain a spell/grammar checker before doing so. Happy to help at all in anyway to get this feature in!

Thanks

• renren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please not on all the time. a checker would be great but we all know that much of what we transcribe is not in a dictionary but fits our speakers diction/ style just right.

• StacyStacy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this shouldn't be always-on. Many of the vocalizations I transcribe are not bonafide words from the dictionary, so red blotches could really get annoying. I find that a once-through after the transcript is complete is good enough for me (my current work practice is to copy the entire transcript into Pages.app, spot typos underlined in red & fix them, then copy and paste to replace the original text in Inqscribe.app).

• vsvihlavsvihla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would want spell check to NOT be an automatic thing (like the red underlines in Word, etc). Part of what makes Inqscribe great, and has made transcription nicer, is not being reminded that I make a lot of typos!)

Feedback and Knowledge Base