Whether you choose Vimeo or YouTube, uploading subtitles is a cinch. If you're more interested in YouTube, head over to our article "How do I upload subtitles to YouTube?"
Note that this article details how to upload captions that you can toggle on and off with the Vimeo player. To permanently write your subtitles into the video image, head over to this support article.
Prepare Your InqScribe Transcript
First, open up your InqScribe document and make sure your transcript and timecodes are in order. Once everything looks good, we're going to export as a WebVTT file. This will require InqScribe version 2.2.3 or newer. Vimeo also supports the SRT and SCC format, but recommends using WebVTT when possible.
Select "File > Export > WebVTT...", name your file and choose a save location. Make a note of this location because we'll need to access it again in a moment.
Upload to Vimeo
Before jumping into the directions below, first make sure to upload your video to Vimeo. You'll need to log in or create an account, then select the "Upload" button at the top right of Vimeo's site. It should be fairly self-explanatory, but if you need help, Vimeo has some tips here.
Add Your Caption or Subtitle File
Once you have your video uploaded, here's how to upload your caption or subtitle file:
- Log in to Vimeo and select your video from the "Videos" list.
- Navigate to the "Distribution" dropdown and select "Subtitles"
- Select the + symbol next to the "Subtitles and Captions" heading.
- After choosing your Language and Type, select "Choose file" and locate your subtitle/captions file.
- Your file should now appear under the "Subtitles and Captions" heading. Activate the slider to the left of the file name to apply the subtitles or captions to your video.
- Remember to "Save" these changes and your video should ready to view with the new subtitles or captions!
To watch your video with the new captions, just click the "CC" icon in the Vimeo player.
If you have any issues exporting subtitles from InqScribe, contact us at inqscribe.com/support.